Peaker Blinders (Season 5)
⭐ 8.5/10
The show is in a familiar rhythm, and that's fine. This season the new big bad guy is a fascist, and I kind of like that Tommy has moved all the way up to politics. We are getting to the end and it is reminding me of all mob stuff, like the Sopranos, in that the main character is trying to figure out what all of this has meant. Tommy is going through it, and while he does that every season death is really becoming a preoccupation of his (like Tony). Again, nothing new here, but I think the execution is very good. I was impressed by Sam Claflin, really goes toe to toe with Cillian, especially having to follow up Adrian Brody as the bad guy.
I thought the women get a chance to shine here too, all going through the same cycles as the men. Again, lots of Carmilla Soprano in all of them, but we are far enough along now that they have all mostly accepted that they are the bad guys too. Happy to see Anya Taylor Joy now, and I wish she had more to do, but I have faith season 6 will give her more.
Something I have never really mentioned is that Tom Hardy is in this show! He is used sparingly, always delivering a monologue near the end of the season in a goofy accent that's hard to understand, but honestly I always think he's pretty good, and the monologues always poignant. He dies at the end of Season 4, and I don't feel bad spoiling it because surprise, he's back to end this season too! This is a total Chewbacca thing at this point, the show cannot bring itself to kill anyone of substance that is not the immediate bad guy, and they are cowards for it. He literally is shot in the face, and now he just has some scars to show for it. The show would be so much better, but instead Arthur is going through another round of being a good guy, then going full animal back to his old ways. They are chickens, and I think the show really suffers from the plot armour the main cast is wrapped in. I have started season 6, and they kill Polly, but only because the actor died in real life! That's the only time they can kill their darlings, and then they get to have a whole funeral to send off the character and actor. It's kind of nice, but there were 5 other times they probably should have killed her off, and now her arc is cut short without a fulfilling ending.
The lack of risks this show takes make it somewhat comfortable viewing, and it will never be more than that to me. Cillian is undeniable, and he has one more season to flex this specific muscle. I bet they kill him, it could not be more clear that that's what is coming, I'm just not convinced it will really make me feel anything. He gets to be smooth and stoic, but I am not sure he's really grown or changed in a couple seasons.
Comments
Post a Comment