Frozen

⭐ 8/10

I am not sure I had seen this since it was in theatres, and breaking news, its pretty good! While I wish the back half had more songs, the songs here are almost all great. The animation is excellent, all the snow and ice and fog, and Olaf is still kind of funny to me. We did have to skip the scene where Elsa's castle is attacked, and I had a memory of this movie feeling a bit long, so that probably helped.

I remember a lot being made of this not being a classic Disney movie where the prince saves the day, and it is nice that they lead up to a true-love's-kiss and then actively push away from that. But at the same time Anna does find her true love... so they have their cake and eat it too. Speaking of Anna, this is her movie! Elsa kind of has the lasting cultural impact, and rightfully so, Let It Go is a song my great grandchildren will be asking for in the car. You don't see many young girls at Halloween dressed up as Anna, yet she probably has 80% of the speaking in this movie. In fact I was surprised how early Let It Go happens, since you barely even know Elsa up to that point. Probably intentional, that song does a lot of the heavy lifting for her character's motivations, but we are kind of like Anna, not sure what to make of this reclusive sister. Nothing profound, I had just kind of forgotten that this is way more about Anna's journey than Elsa's.

If my kids wind up wanting to watch the same movies over and over again, I'm at least happy it can be something of high quality like this. Easy to say now after the first watch - follow me on Letterboxd to see if that score changes over time.

Comments

  1. I recently read a thing about how Disney was shocked that everyone gravitated towards Elsa and not Anna... They already had all the Anna merch made!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Philosopher in the Valley & My Reflections on Leaving Palantir

My Favourite Books of 2025

November Reading Favourites