Frieren: Beyond Journey's End (Season 1)

⭐8/10

Man, where do I begin with this show? I have no idea why I decided to start this. I hate anime.  I heard somewhere that this show is the only fantasy to truly capture Tolkien, and while I think that's not even remotely true, the first episode elicited such a strong response from me that I had to give it a go. 

In that first episode, Frieren is returning home from a long journey with her companions after saving the world. But as an elf, all of this is kinda meaningless because she is ancient and every conflict feels like another blip. She comments that the 12 year adventure meant nothing to her, and leaves her companions so she can continue doing whatever she wants to do. Only after 50 years and the death of their leader does she kinda realize what a hollow existence it is to not feel anything, so she commits to try to understand humans better. 

I mean, what a weird premise for a TV show. The conflict is over, and much of the show uses flashbacks for her to reinterpret things that happened to her as she retraces her steps. It's wildly existential and often incredibly moving. I should note that the show looks absolutely wonderful and the music is now in the rotation any time I need a dopamine hit. 

I would say this show had the potential to be an all-timer for me. It made me think in such unique ways about time and death and meaning. I would shed real tears here and there, and it would make me want to rethink my relationships and priorities. They have something super special here, and I think the performances from Frieren and also Himmel the Hero are top notch and perfect for these characters. 

The problem, then, is that this is still an anime. Man, this show can not get out of its own way. A character called Stark is introduced a little ways in, and any scene he is in is instantly terrible. He's the comic relief who is so far from saying anything remotely funny that he comes damn close to ruining everything. Fortunately he is booted from the show for the last ten episodes. Unfortunately those are maybe the worst episodes where they try to do plot, something they should just forget about. But it's not even the plot so much as the stupid anime tropes. Stuff like lame ass Dragonball voiceovers while they're fighting and stuff, "his power is like nothing I've felt before!" "How did he resist my binding spell? He must have a secret!" 

The first ten or so episodes are incredible, or have incredible moments in them. After that it's mostly not great once they'd run out of cool ideas and try to tell a story.  And yet? In the midst of this there'd be an episode to knock my socks off.  If this was a meditative 10 episode mini-series or something, I'd probably put it in my pantheon.  That photo I introduced as my thumbnail was a moment that tied threads together and made me feel a feeling I'm not sure I've felt before. 

Still, as it is, it's simply too hard to overlook all the anime BS. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Philosopher in the Valley & My Reflections on Leaving Palantir

My Favourite Books of 2025

November Reading Favourites