The Drama

⭐8.5/10

A really great movie that I hated watching. It's a classic A24 movie in every way, being smart and funny and well-acted, but also true to life in a way that can make me pretty uncomfortable. 

Tim wrote the spoiler-free premise to this movie on this very site, so I won't repeat it, but yeah, it asks a really good question! Love a movie that makes you think a bit, and this is among all-time movies for conversations that start during the end credits. For me, Zendeya's confession is a non-issue, but then again I like my women a little feisty anyways... 

Aside from the big question, I thought the other elements of this movie were great. I'm a bit of a skepitc of both Pattinson and Zendeya, but I thought they were both phenomenal in these roles, especially Zendeya who I really hadn't seen in a real role I don't think? She's fabulous here and captured the complex emotions that go into a truly complex idea, and Pattinson is great across from here, questioning everything he thought he knew. 

Lots of the side characters were wonderfully awful. I think about, say, the wedding photographer, someone who is so easy to write as a nothing character, but has a super identifiable personality. Love that about good movies. The DJ and the demonic best friend were also standouts to me, and the work friend again has a character that is so fleshed out that she could very well be the main character of her own movie. 

But alas, this movie is so, so painful to watch to the point where I had to cover my eyes like Jess does when swords are unsheathed in other movies. I hate second-hand embarrassment humor, and this is like Dinner Party and Scotts Tots rolled into one. I loved the final scene, but the pain to get there was hard to stomach. 

Still, I find this movie easy to recommend. A funny movie with a unique premise and one that gets the wheels turning in your mind, and that's not even getting into the high level of craft that goes into most A24 movies. Good stuff. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Philosopher in the Valley & My Reflections on Leaving Palantir

My Favourite Books of 2025

November Reading Favourites