Spider-Man: Brand New Day

⭐7.5/10

Fresh slop made to order! Here I was being convinced that this was something new. Let me be clear about one thing: this is your standard issue Marvel slop. Sure, it's a little better than the recycled trash that's come out on screens big and small since Endgame, but this is slop in it's purest form. And that's mostly fine! I just wouldn't go in expecting a change to the Marvel formula. 

In terms of the good, I would say my favorite thing about this movie is that the action is awesome. I've heard there is lot more practical stunts and I think that shows. Simple things like swinging through the city is the best it has been in years, and the fights are pretty inspired with a cool Crouching Tiger fight at the end. I would say it's the coolest looking action Marvel has had since Shang-Chi. 

I also did think the premise was cool and has its moments. Peter being lonely and having to choose between love or duty is a nice theme, but I actually thought this was a bit underbaked and done way better in Rami's Spider-Man 2. There's a pretty gutting moment between he and Zendeya, but that's really all you get from this idea, and it kinda fizzles midway through the movie. It's not bad, but it's important to remember that Marvel movies usually do have some good ideas that are mentioned and never really explored in an effective way, and that's what makes it slop baby!! 

Otherwise, it's just normal Marvel stuff. An entertaining movie full of fan-service because they are always trying to sell tickets to the next movie, a villain who is more about name-recognition than unique dynamics. Tim knows I am right, by the way, he just won't admit that it's merely fan service for things he's actually a fan of. 

It's got it's build up, it's got it's CGI-heavy resolution, it breaks any tension or levity with an unfunny joke, and it features a completely forgettable soundtrack. You know, it's a Marvel movie! I see little to distinguish this from other slop besides that it gets a way with it a bit better because Spider-man is cool and Holland is charming. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Philosopher in the Valley & My Reflections on Leaving Palantir

My Favourite Books of 2025

November Reading Favourites