Spider-Man: Brand New Day

⭐ 8.5/10

Best Marvel movie since Endgame? I really enjoyed this movie in a way I didn't think I would, in that it made me feel like a kid seeing the first Spiderman in theatres! Opposite of the Odyssey, I was pretty closed off going in, but the charisma of Tom Holland (is this the same guy in the Odyssey!?) and Zendaya and the rest of the cast won me over.

There are still a bunch of the classic beats here, and I hate when a villain is converted through the power of love after battling their trauma. But without spoiling anything, I loved the villain! It's a character I have a lot of invested time in, and it really got me excited for the future of the MCU! Who would have thought I would ever say that. In general this just felt young and fresh, a total opposite to the constant retreads we have been feeling. Maybe it helps that Spiderman is the best character they have, and even though Holland is aging up this was right in the sweet spot.

I thought the last movie was atrocious fan service, but the ending really intrigued me, and it pays off so well here. They sit in his sadness, and they don't speed resolve anything to get to the next reveal. I was impressed with the restraint here. It had a bunch of Spiderman 3 in it, a movie that isn't good but I like the Spider overtaking the Man, fighting for that balance. Again, Holland was really good, and not just as quippy Spiderman but as a morose sad boy trying to win back the girlfriend who no longer remembers him. It worked on me!

There is a quick Florence Pugh cameo in this one and I thought she was amazing! I think this might be my first time seeing her in the MCU - should I go back and watch everything else she is in? Again, it just felt youthful and fresh, not leaning on the old faces like Doomsday clearly is. Let the new stars shine, and I can't wait for all the new stars that will be surely filling the shoes of the characters I actually love.

The longer I think about the plot the more it falls apart, but it doesn't matter. The villain and the hero were there, doing things that haven't been done yet. I'm as surprised as you are, I really thought I was completely out. Maybe the lack of expectations after 8 years of duds disarmed me, but deep inside I will always love this character. Holland is gonna have a tough time stepping away from this role, which they all want to do inevitably, but that main friendship trio is the best thing Marvel has right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Philosopher in the Valley & My Reflections on Leaving Palantir

My Favourite Books of 2025

November Reading Favourites