Obsession

⭐ 7.5/10

This movie definitely isn't for me. "But it's like Get Out, a thriller with some horror elements". Nope this is pure horror. A guy wishes a girl would love him, and she becomes possessed with an obsessed demon. I wasn't completely terrified, but I watched the last 30 minutes through my fingers.

I do think the acting here is incredible, and Inde being cast as my girl Rogue made me decide I had to check her out. Her and Michael Johnston were incredible in their own ways, and probably the reason this movie has been so insanely successful. She is freaky and weird with crazy facial control, and he is a down right loser. I will say he's maybe a slight bit too good looking to be this big of a loser, but the incel energy is crazy strong here. In the era of "male loneliness" this might be showing why some guys should actually be alone. There is this incredible scene where the real Nikki shows up (happens a couple times, always to great effect), and he has this tremendously selfish line that I could not believe, delivered so pathetically. That was the moment of the movie for me, its reason to exist, and I thought it perfectly captured the desires and mindset of the toxic guys you read about online. I almost thought he would redeem himself a bit in the end, but he's a coward, and the final frames are pretty uncomfortable to sit with.

In hindsight I could probably watch this again and not be scared at all, since most of the big moments are jump scares. Some pretty gnarly stuff, but so over the top it was hard to be haunted by it. Its very strange to me how viral this movie went, since I'm not sure its breaking any new ground, but I think both these actors are going to be huge, a really cool launch pad for them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Philosopher in the Valley & My Reflections on Leaving Palantir

My Favourite Books of 2025

November Reading Favourites