House of the Dragon (Season 3)
This season starts with one of the series's best episodes and has a crazy run to start, basically 4 or so perfect episodes. It tails off a bit and never quite recaptures that magic, but again, it sets such a high bar for itself that I find myself hesitant to give any real criticism. I thought Ryaenyra's arc was brilliant and like Tim said, pretty much what late Thrones needed from Dany. Lots of great little side-quests from smaller characters, but I also agree that they've probably stretched out too wide a net and don't have time to give these characters the chances to build themselves up in the way we probably want. I think they also have too many big characters from earlier seasons that they don't know what to do with. I am utterly baffled by the choice to give Aemond the exact same script as Daemon got last season that we already know didn't work, and I would say that's my strongest criticism.
Actually, as a quick aside, I think George's writing style is wonderful for books, especially a longer history like this one, but makes it hard to adapt. He writes as if this were real history, where lots of random figures weave in and out, but it's harder to do that on screen where you've casted Olivia Cooke but then her character doesn't have anything to do for a season because sometimes in history, prominent figures just don't do much for a bit. Do you not bring her back? And a quicker aside - great performance by Olivia Cookie despite having nothing to do!
Anyways, all that seems a little minor. This show is just a really great show that felt like absolute appointment viewing for me all summer. It's not perfect but neither was Thrones (though i agree Thrones reached higher highs) and I remain entirely optimistic for season 4. Can't wait for more Vhagar, and also is it too late to mention that the music is awesome in this show? Cuz it is, though again make a unique theme cowards.
Comments
Post a Comment